Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Power of Words

Consider these words, and how they've literally changed the world:

"The pen is mightier than the sword."
-Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1839

"Let's Roll."
-Todd Beamer on flight 93, September 11, 2001

"Go ahead. Make my day."
-Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry, 1983

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
-Neil Armstrong, Moon Landing, 1969

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
-John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address, 1961

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
-Declaration of Independence, 1776

"I have a dream - that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
-Martin Luther King at his March on Washington, 1963

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."
-The Captain, Cool Hand Luke, 1967

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want"
-King David, 1000BC

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"
-Charles Dickens, a Tale of Two Cities, 1859

"My Mama always said, 'Life was like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.'"
-Forrest Gump, 1994

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"
-Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind, 1936

"I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
-Jesus to Nicodemus, 30AD

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
-Lewis Carroll, from Jabberwocky, 1872

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, 1915

No comments: